School Board Meeting
Oldham-Ramona School Dist 39-5
July 14, 2011
The Oldham-Ramona School Board of Education met in regular session at 7:00 p.m. at the school. Present were Lisa Beyer, Janelle Dinges, Larry Malcomb, Mike Matson, and Chandra Waikel. Others present were Jay Hojer, Deanne DeRungs, Brian Sieh, Dr. Dan Moran, and GayLynn Hagemann. Chairman Beyer, who established a quorum was present, called the meeting to order. Unless noted all motions were unanimous.
Action #2926: Motion by Malcomb, seconded by Dinges to approve payment of the following bills to end the 2010-2011 school year.
Ace Hardware Supplies 117.51
Alison Eide Mowing @ Oldham 315.00
Argus Leader Advertising 350.00
Barger Electric Repairs 158.41
Brookings Register Advertising 80.43
Century Business Prod Maint Cont/Supp/Repair 340.11
Chandra Waikel Mileage 51.80
Connecting Point Server/Networking/Supplies 59.00
Estelline School District Region Track Meet Expenses 148.68
F & M Oil Propane 16.96
GayLynn Hagemann Mileage 44.40
Imprest Fund Reimb 91.99
Interlakes Medical Center Bus Driver Physical 128.00
Interstate All Battery Ctr Supplies 246.90
Janelle Dinges Mileage 19.24
Jesselyn Christenson Grad Credit 60.00
Ken's Repair Repairs/Service 371.48
Lisa Beyer Mileage 24.42
Madison Daily Leader Publishing 128.71
McLeod's Supplies 146.33
Mike Matson Mileage 25.90
Office Peeps Supplies 60.67
Petty Cash/Ramona Postage/Reimb 47.48
Power Promotions Supplies 11.60
Prairie Lakes Ed. Coop Purchased Services 124.07
Rutland School District Reimb 1,319.52
SD Dept. Of Health Nurse Services 116.00
SD Unemployment Ins. Division Qtrly Unempl Ins Premium 600.00
Sharlene Jensen Reimb Supplies 12.00
Software Unlimited Workshop 20.00
Capital Outlay Fund
Alliance Communications Phone Service 57.53
Alltel/Cellular One Bus Phone Service 29.90
Apex Structural Design School Inspection 2,847.69
At&T Mobility Bus Phones 48.25
Bud's Clean-Up Service Garbage Service 160.05
City Of Oldham Water/Sewer 29.00
Connecting Point Server/Networking/Supplies 9,992.60
MCI Long Distance 107.55
Mid-American Energy Heat-Ramona 29.12
Northwestern Energy Heat-Oldham 76.42
NSP Xcel Energy Electricity-Ramona 788.33
Ottertail Electricity-Oldham 60.05
R-Stop & Shop Gas/Fuel 555.53
R-Store Gas/Fuel 285.96
Time Management Systems Payroll Software 27.60
Town Of Ramona Water/Sewer 104.00
Special Education Fund
Children's Care Hosp & School Services-Day Program 4,745.75
Flandreau School District Share Of Sped Director/Mlg SF 2,261.91
Laura Hoek Mileage 156.88
Madison Community Hospital OT & PT/Supplies 480.71
Prairie Lakes Ed. Coop Purchased Services 1,116.61
SD Unemployment Ins. Division Qtrly Unempl Ins Premium 507.34
Food Service Fund
Child And Adult Nutrition Serv-Doe Food 127.56
Traci Burger Mileage 170.20
Action #2927: Motion by Matson, seconded by Waikel to approve the minutes of June 13, 2011 and the minutes of the special meeting on June 27, 2011 as presented.
Action #2928: Motion by Waikel, seconded by Matson to approve the June financial reports.
Action #2929: Motion by Malcomb, seconded by Dinges to move additional expenditures from General Fund to Pension Fund in the amount of $4,436.45 for
SD Retirement System.
Action #2930: Motion by Matson, seconded by Waikel to approve moving the Building Fund interest to the General Fund, amount $27,901.46.
Action #2931: Motion by Dinges, seconded by Waikel to approve the following contingency transfers and supplemental budget changes.
Middle School/JH-salaries $4,877.00
School Library Services-salaries $667.77
Means of Finance:
Contingencies-misc objects $5,544.77
Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Prgm-supplies $2,996.45
Means of Finance:
Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Prgm Grant $2,996.45
Supplemental Budget Changes:
1111 Elem Program Rtmt $4,436.45
Means of Finance:
Pension Fund Surplus $4,436.45
Action #2932: Motion by Matson, seconded by Malcomb to enter into executive session at 7:26 p.m. to discuss personnel. Chairman Beyer declared the board out of executive session at 8:16 p.m.
Action #2933: Motion by Dinges, seconded by Malcomb to hire Brian Sieh as superintendent.
Action #2934: Motion by Waikel, seconded by Matson to adjourn the school board of 2010-2011.
The 2011-2012 school board meeting was called to order by interim Superintendent Dr. Moran.
Incumbent board member Mike Matson and new board member Jay Hojer took the oath of office.
Action #2935: Motion by Waikel, seconded by Malcomb to nominate Lisa Beyer as board president for 2011-12.
Action #2936: Motion by Matson, seconded by Waikel that nominations cease for board president.
Action #2937: Motion by Beyer, seconded by Waikel to nominate Larry Malcomb as vice-president for 2011-12.
Action #2938: Motion by Hojer, seconded by Matson that nominations cease for vice-president.
Action #2939: Motion by Waikel, seconded by Matson to approve the following bills for payment.
American State Bank Bond 275.00
ASBSD Membership Dues 766.52
Atomic Sports Supplies 320.00
Continental Western Ins. Insurance Premium 8,072.00
Mary Jo Thurow Supplies 121.88
NESC Purchasing Supplies-Paper 1,130.00
Ron Tolley Parking Lot Repairs 40.00
Sanford Health Plan Health Ins-1/2 June 4,000.00
SASD Membership Dues 453.20
SD Coalition Of Schools Contribution 500.00
SD Teacher Placement Membership Dues 420.00
Capital Outlay Fund
Connecting Point Server/Networking/Supplies 2,000.00
Continental Western Ins. Insurance Premium 11,059.00
First National Bank Pmt On Capital Outlay Certif's 29,802.50
NCS Pearson Write To Learn Subscriptions 140.00
Renaissance Learning Accel Reader Quiz/Tech Support 1,399.00
Special Education Fund
Continental Western Ins. Insurance Premium 1,000.00
Sanford Health Plan Health Ins-1/2 June 1,306.83
Food Service Fund
Spring Lake Colony Contracted Meals 3,677.60
Action #2940: Motion by Matson, seconded by Malcomb to adopt the proposed budget.
Action #2941: Motion by Waikel, seconded by Hojer to approve the following for the 2011-2012 school year.
1. Designate official depository for school funds as the American State Bank.
2. Designate official newspaper as the Madison Daily Leader.
3. Designate official time and location of regular board meetings as the second Monday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the O-R School resource room.
4. Authorize Vice President to sign checks in absence of the President.
5. Authorize Business Manager to negotiate loans and make investments with notes signed by the Board President.
6. Recognize Title I Advisory Council as Jane Lee and the parent group.
7. Designate Superintendent to be purchasing agent with $2,500 limit.
8. Authorize the Superintendent to dismiss school in case of inclement weather or emergencies with designee responsible in his absence.
9. Authorize the Superintendent to institute the school lunch agreement.
10. Authorize the Superintendent to determine eligibility for free and reduced meals.
11. Designate interest for Trust & Agency to the School Yearbook Fund. Designate interest for General, Special Ed., Capital Outlay, and Pension funds to go to the General Fund.
12. Designate board member Matson to serve as Prairie Lakes Educational Cooperative representative and Waikel as the alternate.
13. Designate board member Malcomb to serve as the delegate to Associated School Boards of SD and Hojers as the alternate.
14. Set bond for Business Manager at $50,000 and Secretary at $25,000.
15. Designate Superintendent as the food service contact person and director.
16. Appointment of administrators of Trust & Agency Accounts as Shar Jensen and GayLynn Hagemann.
17. Appoint Federal Programs director as Superintendent.
18. Set Admission Rates, per co-op agreement: Single Season
Adult $ 4.00 $ 30.00
Student $ 2.00 $ 10.00
Seniors Citizen (62yrs+) $ 4.00 $ 20.00
Family Pass(immediate family only) $ 75.00
19. Set substitute teacher salaries as certified $75.00, non-certified $65.00, and long-term substitute pay (as of the 11th consecutive day as substitute in the same classroom) as $90.00.
20. Set meal prices: K-6 7-12 Adult
Reduced Breakfast .30 .30
Full Breakfast 1.00 1.00 1.50
Reduced Lunch .40 .40
Full Lunch 1.85 2.25 2.75
Extra Milk .25 .25 .25
21. State policy of civil rights: The Oldham-Ramona School District #39-5 resolves not to discriminate against anyone because of race, sex, creed, color, or national origin. Educational programs and/or activities and employment opportunities will be offered without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, or handicap. Persons seeking information or having complaints may contact Mr. Brian Sieh, Supt. Of Schools, Oldham-Ramona Schools, Box 8, Ramona, SD 57054, telephone (605)482-8244, who coordinates Title IX and Section 504, Affirmative Action and The Americans With Disabilities Act Compliance Activities, or contact Regional Director, U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 10220 North Executive Hills Boulevard, 8th Floor, Kansas City, Missouri 64153-1367.
22. Set per diem for school board members at $40.00 per meeting plus mileage, $55.00 for Board President plus mileage.
23. Set mileage rate at the state rate.
24. Approve the submission of the Consolidated Application.
Action #2942: Motion by Matson, seconded by Malcomb to approve the Delta Dental monthly insurance rates for 2011-12 as $44.78 single and $121.06 family.
Action #2943: Motion by Waikel, seconded by Matson to approve the student handbooks for 2011-12 with two changes. Page 20-detention will be made on a non-school day if possible. Page 11-National Honor Society change to 3.2 GPA.
The board discussed the “Food Service Management Contract” with Spring Lake Colony and will be issuing the contract at the same rates as last year.
Action #2944: Motion by Waikel, seconded by Malcomb to approve employment contracts for 2011-12.
Action #2945: Motion by Malcomb, seconded by Waikel to approve open enrollment applications for three students.
Mike Matson gave the Prairie Lakes Educational Co-op report.
The board heard interim Superintendent Dr. Moran’s report. The school open house for students and parents will be Monday, August 15 from 5:00-7:00 p.m.
Action #2946: Motion by Waikel, seconded by Hojer to enter into executive session at 9:34 p.m. to discuss personnel. Chairman Beyer declared the board out of executive session at 10:03 p.m.
Action #2947: Motion by Malcomb, seconded by Waikel to approve the business manager contract as amended.
The next regular meeting of the board is scheduled for Monday, August 8, 2011 at 7:00 p.m.
Action #2948: Motion by Matson, seconded by Hojer to adjourn at 10:05 p.m.
GayLynn Hagemann Lisa Beyer
Business Manager Board President
Published once at the total approximate cost of $_____________________.